Monday, May 24, 2021

My mother was a social justice warrior

 Charles Ungerleider, Professor emeritus, The University of British Columbia

[permission to reproduce granted if authorship is acknowledged]

Education is one of the means for achieving social justice: ensuring that everyone in society is treated fairly, that the dignity and rights of all human beings are respected, and that resources are equitably distributed. That is why education is sometimes called the great equalizer.

It is not surprising that Mother’s Day prompted me to think about my mother, who has been dead for almost 25 years. She was an elementary school teacher who taught for several years when she first completed her teacher preparation in the 1920s and again from 1960 until her retirement in the late 1970s. She was well into her 70s when she retired.

Although most of my mother’s generation of elementary teachers had only one year of preparation beyond high school, my mother had two years of teacher preparation beyond her high school degree.

My mother taught grade one for almost her entire career. Her last grade one class enrolled 35 students. Many of the students lived in publicly subsidized housing because their parents were receiving income assistance. Many of the children in the area had little exposure to reading before coming to school.

My mother was proud that year-in and year-out all of the children leaving her inner-city grade one classroom were reading at grade level. I recall asking her about her teaching, she said plainly, “I’ve never met a child I couldn’t teach to read. It may have been difficult for them and for me, but all of the children in my classes began grade two reading at grade level.”

I asked her what she thought accounted for her success. She replied, “On the first day of school, I would tell the children that they were very lucky to be in school because they would learn a very powerful secret – they would learn how to read. I’d say, ‘Once you learn to read, no one can hide anything from you. Learning to read will be very hard, but I will help you. I have never met a child who couldn’t learn to read.’ Then I would read them a story that I knew they would like.”

The methods my mother used were the ones she was taught during her two years of teacher preparation in the 1920s. “I read to the children every day, often twice a day. Who doesn’t like to have someone read to them?” she asked.

“We used basal readers,” my mother explained. “You know, the readers with Dick, Jane, Spot, and all of that. But every child also had a library card. Each week, beginning in September, I would take them to the school library to select their books. In my last few years of teaching, during choosing time the children might select a cassette tape with a story that they could listen to while they followed along in the book.”

I asked her whether many of the children struggled with reading. “It varied from year to year, but there were always children who struggled. Some might not have had much opportunity to hear and handle books. Others – even the ones with books at home – struggled too. But they all learned to read at grade level by the end of the year.”

Reading – perhaps more than any other capacity – is life changing. Those who can read are more apt to succeed in school, graduate, and make a life for themselves afterward. It is a capacity that often distinguishes them from those who do not achieve success in school, often leave school early, and have diminished life chances.

The priority my mother placed on learning to read meant that she did not always address all the topics recommended for grade one students. “None of the principals I worked for ever complained that the children were short-changed.”

My mother would describe herself as an ordinary classroom teacher, but I think she was a social justice warrior for having taught all the students in her grade one class to read at grade level. If I had told her that, she would have said, “Oh, go on!”